Kretek International is America’s #1 importer, marketer and distributor of specialty tobacco products, including high-end cigars, tobacco and vaping products with such well-known brands as Djarum, Cuban Rounds, Dryft & Djeep. Founded over 30 years ago, we continue to grow and constantly seek talented employees who can help us do that.
For more information, please visit: http://www.Kretek.com
PURPOSE OF JOB:
Kretek is looking for a highly qualified Legal Counsel to oversee the legal aspects of our business. The General Counsel should have a strong background on Employment Law, Contracts, Real State and Agricultural. The candidate will oversee and manage Kretek International headquarters along with all its subsidiaries.
This position will be headquartered in Moorpark, California.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participates in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters.
- Serves as key lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures.
- Judges the merits of major court cases filed against or on behalf of the company, works with the appropriate executive(s) to define a strategic defense and approves settlements of disputes where warranted.
- Structures and manages the company’s internal legal function.
- Specify internal governance policies and regularly monitor compliance.
- Research and evaluate different risk factors regarding business decisions and operations.
- Draft and solidify agreements, contracts and other legal documents to ensure the company’s full legal rights.
- Oversees the selection, retention, management and evaluation of all outside counsel.
- Advises on legal aspects of the company’s financing, including assessing and advising on current and future business structures and legal entities.
- May require up to 25% travel.
- Degree on Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school
- Must have a California bar membership.
- Must have 5+ years of experience in a corporate legal environment.
- Ideally candidate should have legal experience in retail company subject to regulatory oversight.
- Experience working closely with governmental agencies (eg FDA, FTC, ATF, USDA) is a plus.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate law and procedures.
- Full comprehension of the influences of the external environment of a corporation.
- Demonstrated ability to create legal defensive or proactive strategies.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Sound judgement and ability to analyze situations and information.
- Outstanding communication skills.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.Apply